The Avenue Cemetery is the first new cemetery in Salisbury for 160 years and represents a major investment by Salisbury City Council.
The cemetery was constructed in a six-acre green field site off the Avenue Wilton. The design is organic and simple in nature incorporating many sweeping paths supplemented with extensive planting to create intimate spaces. A memorial garden is the ventral focal point, and there is also extensive tree planting to one boundary to introduce a natural element of woodland to the site.
idverde was initially engaged for Phase 1 only. However, the Council was so pleased with the results of the Phase 1 works that idverde was quickly re-engaged to carry out Phase 2.
idverde carried out extensive works for each Phase:
Phase 1 comprised of:
- Construction of new on-site car park, site road, paths and hardstanding for a compound.
- Preparation and cultivation (including stone burial) of the proposed burial areas for grass seeding.
- Construction of entrance gates, flanking walls and railings.
- Installation of furniture including seats, cycle racks and signage.
- Installation of post and rail fencing and gate.
- Proposed tree, shrub and grass seeding.
- 12 months defects / maintenance.
Phase 2 comprised of:
- Central drive and Memorial Garden which includes the shelter
- Gravel and timber edge footpaths
- Tree and shrub planting
- Seats / benches
- Amenity grass (reinstatement)
- 12 Months establishment / maintenance
The new burial ground was officially opened on 02 October 2019.
The Mayor of the Council, Cllr John Walsh said: “The Avenue Cemetery is a delightful setting, elegant and understated in a way that will perfectly fit the requirements of the bereaved in the sad circumstances they will inevitably be visiting.”
In 2020 idverde was delighted to receive a British Association of Landscape Industries (BALI) National Award for the high standards delivered on this project.