About the role
!Please follow the LINK and complete the form then send it to John.Pemberton@idverde.co.uk!
About the role
idverde are London Borough of Bromley’s Green Space Management partner. We manage all of Bromley’s parks including nature reserves and key biodiversity spaces. This role sits within the Countryside & Environmental Education team.
Based at Bromley Environmental Education Centre at High Elms (BEECHE) this position will deliver & develop a range of Countryside, Leisure and Environmental Education services delivered by idverde, as instructed by the Environmental Education Manager. This will include environmental education from early years to Higher Higher Education; special schoolsSEND; educators; members of the public; the unemployed; and community groups. Instructors will play an active and enthusiastic role in widening the commercial appeal of environmental education for the provision to become financially sustainable.
Health & Safety and Environment
- Adhere to all idverde systems, processes and reporting; producing all necessary risk assessments and method statements, reporting and recording all accidents and near-misses.
- In particular, ensure that the Education Service is delivered in line with idverde’s Health & Safety and Safeguarding procedures and that all necessary risk assessments and method statements that relate particularly to working with children, special needs and vulnerable adults are reviewed regularly.
- Play a personal role in ensuring that the idverde Bromley Branch establishes a safety culture, where the safety of staff, customers, volunteers and the public comes first.
- Do everything practically possible to ensure the safety of customers and visitors to BEECHE, the High Elms grounds and any other site of delivery and ensure customers and visitors understand their own responsibilities in this regard.
- Ensure that any potential hazards observed are reported to the appropriate General Manager and encourage visitors to do the same.
Contract Delivery, Performance Management and Quality
- Plan, prepare and deliver an Environmental Education and Events service to fee-paying customers
- Teach a range of topics including but not exclusive to practical Ecology, Biodiversity Biology, and Environmental Science including Field Studies to a range of user groups, including the delivery of the Forest Schools initiative.
- Run Help create and deliver courses for teachers relating to the natural environment as part of the national curriculum,
- Run forest schools programmes, and with support, work with the Forest School Association to make BEECHE FSA approved training centre
- Deliver outreach sessions at schools and other venues
- Deliver community events during school holidays and weekends
- Prepare and maintain teaching facilities and resources, taking responsibility for their upkeep
- Assist in the general administration of the environmental education provision and delivery sites
- Assist in the preparation and updating of school teaching materials in line with the relevant curricula requirements e.g. National Curriculum
- Train and mentor internal idverde staff and volunteers to increase their awareness of the impact that their activities can have on biodiversity and the environment
- Take an active role in the operation of the visitor centre at BEECHE
- On-call responsibilities on a rota basis
Financial and Commercial Management
- Understand that environmental education at idverde must become financially sustainable, and incorporate financial awareness into all day to day activities, considering the costs of service delivery as well as the opportunities for greater income generation
- Take responsibility for day to day financial administrative tasks as appropriate such as invoicing and generating receipts and taking payments by phone.
- Support the Environmental Education Manager in the implementation of a financially sustainable Business Plan. This will include identifying potential new customers, marketing and promoting new offers and services with enthusiasm, to different audiences and user groups.
- Take control of the digital marketing of BEECHE and a wider programme of Environmental Education, including but not exclusive to webpages and social media accounts as appropriate
- Work with the Business Development Manager to actively promote all environmental education services delivered by idverde Bromley.
Client, Stakeholder and Customer Relationships
- Be the first point of contact for the public at BEECHE, presenting a welcoming and inclusive environment for all visitors.
- Establish excellent customer satisfaction scores from all Environmental Education customers
- Ensure that all customer feedback is recorded, monitored and reported from whatever source
- Establish an excellent relationship with the Green Roof café operative
- Work with the Friends of Greenspace to provide support for Bromley’s volunteers
- Develop and maintain a strong working relationship with the Environmental Education Manager, Conservation & Education Development Manager, Neighbourhood General Managers, Neighbourhood Community Managers and other internal stakeholders as appropriate to ensure that environmental education services and business plans are understood and valued by colleagues
- Communicate effectively with all staff across all three Neighbourhoods at the Bromley Branch to work as one team with a common set of objectives
- Network with other idverde staff, both at Bromley and at other idverde contracts, participate in joint initiatives and share best practice
- Deliver any other work as required by the Conservation & Education Development Manager) or the Environmental Education Manager which is in keeping with this position
Leadership and People Management
- Assist in the management of the casual staff, work experience students and volunteers as required.
Skills/Qualifications and Experience
- A relevant degree in an environmental subject, and a relevant teaching qualification or comparable experience
- Demonstrable experience working in outdoor education and/or environmental education
- Demonstrable experience teaching to a wide range of learners including SEND
- A good understanding of health and safety management in relation to teaching activities involving children, adults, people with special needs and the outdoor environment
- Strong IT skills
- Excellent people skills
- Certificate in Forest School Programme Leadership
- Experience in providing services on a commercial, fee-paying basis
- An understanding of marketing techniques
- A positive and constructive attitude to the Idverde Bromley contract and a willingness to embrace change and enthusiastically adopt new ways of working
- A ‘can-do attitude, keen to provide innovative solutions to problems as they arise and not deterred by setbacks
- Flexibility with regard to weekend working when required to make the Centre and environmental education provision a success
- Friendly, positive and practical; happy to ‘roll up sleeves and do what is required to make environmental education a success
- Able to communicate effectively at all levels within the customer base
- A person who takes considerable pride in the achievement of their team
- Drive, imagination, energy and enthusiasm
!If interested, please follow the LINK and complete the form then send it to John.Pemberton@idverde.co.uk!