About the role
The RSPB is the UK’s largest conservation charity, consistently delivering successful conservation, forging powerful partnerships with other organisations, and inspiring others to stand up and give nature the home it deserves. The RSPB Sector Advice Team works in partnerships with businesses to create nature outcomes and to provide a better environment in which to live.
RSPB and idverde initiated a national partnership in 2017. Idverde is the largest green service provider in the UK, wholly dedicated to providing green services and passionate about ensuring a bright future for our parks and countryside.
What’s the role about:
The RSPB and idverde are working together at Wormwood Scrubs in the London Borough of Hammersmith and Fulham. The partnership supports & leads community groups, helping them deliver parks management for people and nature.
The post is embedded within the idverde business at Wormwood scrubs and draws on the wider expertise of the RSPB, relating to community engagement, and habitat & species management. The role also facilitates RSPB’s own community and membership engagement, including facilitating opportunities for connections to nature.
To support this new partnership we are seeking a self-motivated individual keen to work with the community to deliver nature conservation. The role is part-time (4 days per week), based at Wormwood Scrubs. Do you have the relevant ecological knowledge and experience of working with community groups, to deliver what nature needs?
About the role
- You will support community groups to be empowered for nature conservation, delivering priority habitats and species.
- You will work with idverde’s client, developing strong and supportive relationships with all community stakeholders.
- You will advise the site management team regarding best practice conservation management for habitats and species.
Main duties will involve:
- Act as the Biodiversity Champion for idverde at Wormwood Scrubs, linking with the residents and client team and helping to ensure that biodiversity at Wormwood Scrubs is appropriately enhanced.
- Through volunteering and community work, identify residents that wish to work for idverde at LBHF and help create pathways for them to do so building a sustainable volunteering programme.
- Support the community groups by seeking funding opportunities.
Provide wildlife conservation advice
- Provide relevant, accurate and timely advice on biodiversity and habitat management to the client team and residents at Wormwood Scrubs.
- To support and report on the delivery of the Hammersmith & Fulham Biodiversity commissioners report at Wormwood Scrubs.
- To work collaboratively with the idverde Community and Training Manager.
- Train operational staff at Wormwood Scrubs in understanding biodiversity and conservation management.
- To support the creation of the LBHF idverde teaching resource, working with third sectors partners like Groundwork to deliver the programme.
- Develop and deliver biodiversity resources (manual and toolbox talks) for use by idverde’s employees
What we need from you
Qualifications, knowledge, skills and experience required:
- Experience in working with volunteers and community groups.
- Knowledge of conservation delivery, to be able to effectively advise operators and volunteers in how to implement species and habitat conservation.
- Understanding of the dynamics in relation to achieving conservation delivery and stakeholder values.
- Excellent English is written and verbal communication skills.
- A clear passion for wildlife.
- Competence in relevant IT (e.g. MS packages, Outlook etc).
- Effective time-management and organisational skills.
- Effective relationship management skills.
- Project management and implementation
- A full driving license.
- A resident of the London Borough of Hammersmith and Fulham.
- A qualification in a relevant subject (e.g. ecology, countryside management).
- Experience in carrying out ecological surveys, either voluntarily or through work experience/paid employment.
- Knowledge of land conservation management practices and writing site management plans.
- Health & Safety applies to work with volunteers and site management (e.g. risk assessments).
- Experience in making funding applications